(Pictured above is Celeriac aka Celery Root)
Dear Loyal Members,
Deliveries will be normal this week.
We wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving. We have so many things to be grateful for. And I think you will see what I mean when you look at the ordering list this week. Don’t forget to check the extras to see what gratitude we are giving you. Please order the extras from the extra page and not in your regular order.
This weekend we will be attending 2 farmer’s markets. By visiting farmer’s markets for your shopping you can have a “Local” Thanksgiving and share your gratitude with your local sustainable community. See below our list of recipes for a “local” and interesting Thanksgiving meal.
- Saturday: Antietam Farmers and Artists Market – 9 am till 12 pm. At the Antietam Valley Community Center.
- Sunday: The West Reading Farmer’s Market – 10 am till 1 pm. We will be on Penn Ave in our usual spot this week.
Egg shares will NOT be delivered this week.
The ordering and deliveries are going well considering that we are beginning a new system. Here are some notes from this week’s order:
- The Late Fall CSA share is 6 items per week.
- If you choose less than 6 items we will choose the other items to make up for it.
- If you choose more than 6 items we will delete the extra items.
- On the new ordering page is based on an honor system that you will order only the amount we ask and nothing more. There is no governor in the system. However, we ask that you only order as many of each item that is listed with the item. It is very helpful if you follow these instructions to make sure that all members have equal options for ordering each item.
- If you choose to order more than the quantity offered we will remove the extra order and substitute with what we have available.
Each member has an account that we have set up because you have already paid. I encourage you to check the account and to fill in addresses and phone numbers when necessary. This is very helpful to us in case of emergencies or bad weather.
Each item will allow you to choose the quantity you would like. Please read the instructions for the amounts you are able to order. The extras are located on a separate order page so if you are ordering multiples of an item it will count as multiples toward you limit. Your limit for the Late Fall CSA is 6 items.
Please check the “Extras” section of the ordering page to be able to order extras. We will have extras this week.
- We will be sending out an email each Saturday evening with the list for the week.
- If for some reason you do not see the email please check our website. The weekly email will be on our blog which will be located on every page of the website on the right side bar. http://bhorganicproduce.com/
- The link to the ordering page is: http://bhorganicproduce.csasignup.com/login
- We do not split items or make smaller bunches. All sizes of the items are stated.
- If you can choose more than one of an item than it will be stated.
- If it is not stated, than you may not order more than one of an item.
- However, if you choose more than one of an item it will be counted as more than 1 item. For instance, if you choose to order 2 orders of spinach it will count as 2 of your items.
- If it states that you may order 2 (or 3) than this counts as 2 (or 3) of your items.
- At times a selection may say you can order“X OR Z” this means you cannot order both items.
- Orders must be in by Monday night at 11:30 pm. We cannot accept late orders. The ordering page will only be available from Saturday evening until Monday at 11:30 pm.
- Don’t forget to pick up your box. It may help to set an alarm on your phone. At the West Reading site we have a family that comes at 9 pm to clean up the porch. All items on the porch at 9 pm will be donated to the family.
- If you have any questions please feel free to email me at email@example.com or call 484-955-1098. I also am available to receive text messages at this phone number. Please text your name with your message. I have lost many contacts to phones lost in the fields.
- If you are unable to pick up your box please text or call 484-955-1098 or email us.
Ordering this week:
Order 6 items
If you order multiples of an item, each unit counts as one item.
- Salad Mix – 6 oz. OR Spicy Mix- 6 oz. OR Spinach – 7 oz.
- Herb Mix – 2 oz. each of parsley, thyme and broadleaf sage.
- Parsley – 4 oz. You may order 2 orders
- Swiss Chard – ¾ lb You may order 2 orders
- Collard Greens – ¾ lb You may order 2 orders
- Baby Boc Choi – 1-2 heads You may order 2 orders
- Daikon Radish – 1 small root You may order 2 orders
- Kale, Red Russian, Lacinato or Curly – ¾ lb You may order 3 orders
- Beets- Chioggia, Red or Golden – 1.5 lb You may order 2 orders
- Dandelion Green – ¾ lb You may order 3 orders
- Carrot, Mixed – 2 lb You may order 2 orders
- Fennel – 1-2 bulbs You may order 2 orders
- Potatoes, White or Yukon Gold – 2 lb You may order 3 orders
- Garlic – 1/4 lb
- Winter Squash, Delicata – 2-3 fruits
- Celeriac – 1-2 roots
- Sweet Potato- 2 lb OR Butternut Squash – 1 fruit
- Mustard Greens, Red Giant – ¾ lb
- Broccoli Shoots- ¾ lb OR Brussels Sprouts – 1 pint
- Extras are available this week. Extras must be ordered and you must follow the instructions for the quantities in order to be able to order them.
- To order the extras and check what is available click on “Extras” page above the “Fall Share” order page. These pages are found on your home page.
- Kale, Red Russian – You may order 1 extra Red Russian Kale if you order 2 kale in your original order.
- Potato, White – You may order 2 extra orders of white potatoes if you order 1 order of potatoes in your original order.
- Parsley – 1 bunch. You do not need to order parsley in your original order.
- Beets, Chioggia – 1 bunch. You do not need to order beets in your original order.
Crops update: (These are estimations and I am often proven wrong.)
- Eat your greens! They are still so yummy.
- We are expecting some very cold nights in the next few days. Be prepared for the salad greens to be slowing down.
- The root veggies are so sweet after the frost.
Crops at their Peak this week:
- Salad Mix
- Winter Squash
- Daikon Radish
- Boc Choi
- Mustard Greens
B & H Thanksgiving.
Many of these recipes are staples in our house so you may have seen them before. We try to celebrate the purpose of Thanksgiving by eating all locally and celebrating the abundance of the harvest. And it has been such a great harvest this year. I encourage you to try something new to impress your family and show them what a great CSA you belong to.
- Beet Tartar with Goat Cheese on Arugula http://theshiksa.com/2012/08/17/roasted-beet-tartare/
- Beet Cheddar and Apple Tartlets: http://www.marthastewart.com/274226/beet-recipes/@center/276955/seasonal-produce-recipe-guide#331822
- How about a raw vegetable plate with Chioggia beets, red carrots and watermelon radishes. My traditional family was so amazed by this last year.
- Sliced Fennel with parmesan: http://www.marthastewart.com/1135005/sliced-fennel-parmesan
- Orange, Fennel and Beet Salad http://frenchfood.about.com/od/salads/r/ojbeetfennel.htm
- Celeriac and Carrot Salad with honey dressing: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/carrot_celeriac_salad.html
- Dandelion Greens Salad: http://food52.com/recipes/11663-dandelion-greens-salad
- Radish Salad with Arugula – (I recommend the Watermelon Radishes for this recipe. They will definitely impress your guests.) http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/radish-arugula-salad-recipe.html
- Beet Salad with Green Apple and Honey: http://www.marthastewart.com/986090/beet-salad-goat-cheese-green-apple-and-honey
- Spicy Brown Sugar Carrots http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/spicy-brown-sugar-carrots-recipe/index.html
- Collard Greens with Pancetta http://off-my-plate.blogspot.com/2009/09/collard-greens-from-garden-to-plate.html
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roasted-fingerling-potatoes-with-fresh-herbs-and-garlic-recipe4/index.html
- Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna: http://www.marthastewart.com/274911/meatless-thanksgiving-recipes/@center/276949/everything-thanksgiving#857657
- Sweet Potato Cannelloni: http://www.marthastewart.com/274911/meatless-thanksgiving-recipes/@center/276949/everything-thanksgiving#285103
- Celeriac Mash: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/smashed-celeriac/
- Mashed Turnips: Replace potatoes with the white turnips for a lighter version. I still use butter and black pepper but I prefer boiled turnips to potatoes.
- Stuffing alternatives:
- Boc Choi is also known as Chinese Celery. Try using boc choi in place of celery in your stuffing for a twist.
- Fennel Stuffing: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bacon-apple-and-fennel-stuffing
- Baked Fennel with parmesan: http://www.marthastewart.com/315836/baked-fennel-with-parmesan-and-thyme
- Celeriac Gratin: http://www.marthastewart.com/332822/celeriac-gratin
Again we thank you for membership and we look forward to providing you will fresh veggies this season,