Welcome to the last week of our Late Fall CSA. This will be our 38th continuous CSA delivery. And some of you have been with us for the entire season. We thank you all.
This past week the winter weather finally set in and it was a mad dash to clean up the fields and harvest as much as possible. After quite a few years of winter growing I am still blown away by the many crops that can withstand extreme cold. Our fields have been covered with row cover for many weeks and just this thin cloth is enough to keep the crops alive. Wind is our biggest threat. This has been such a windy fall.
This past year we rebuilt our large hoop house after it had collapsed in a large snow storm in early 2016. We are proud to say that the house is standing stronger now and filled with greens and roots that will fill your boxes this week.
We are all ready for a bit of a rest this winter. Most people ask us what we do in the winter…we don’t stop working. We will be attending the Malvern Farmers’ Market and the West Reading Farmers’ market this winter. Check our website for dates: http://bhorganicproduce.com/upcoming-events/ . We are working steadily on the details our 2017 CSA season and plan to have sign ups available in the beginning of January. And we are also working on a series of workshops in our greenhouse this winter. So look for updates via email, Facebook and Instagram.
Thank you all so much and we wish you a healthy and happy winter!!!!!!!!!!!!
Storing your last CSA harvest
Sure you may just eat up all your veggies this week. But what if you are busy and can’t eat them all this week? What if you still have some veggies in your refrigerator from the week before? Almost all the crops we will harvest for your CSA box this week can be stored. In fact most of them stopped growing weeks ago when the length of day became much shorter. The crops stay in the fields and hoop houses much like if they were in your refrigerator. It is so cool. Here are some hints for storing your share. Check it out – some of them will store for months!!
Most of this information comes from the Johnny’s Selected Seeds website:
- Potatoes – Store in a dark cooler at 40°F/4.4°C and 95% relative humidity. Healthy tubers can store for 5 months or more under the proper conditions.
- Sweet Potatoes – Place roots in crates or vented boxes and store in dark at 60°F/16°C and 85% relative humidity. Do not allow the storage temperature to drop below 50°F/10°C, as this will chill and injure the roots. Properly handled roots can be stored for 7 months or more.
- Winter squash – Store at 50–60°F/10–15°C, with 50–70% relative humidity and good ventilation. Repeated exposure to temperatures below 50°F/10°C may cause chilling damage.
- Cabbage – Store with a few of the outside wrapper leaves at 32°F/0°C and 90–100% humidity.
- Celeriac – will keep for 3–5 months when stored at 32°F/0°C and 90–100% humidity.
- Carrots, Radish, Turnips and Beets – Trim tops (stems and leaves) to ¼” in length. All varieties will keep for 3–5 months when stored at 32°F/0°C and 90–100% humidity.
- Pac choi and Tatsoi – Will store up to 3 weeks when stored at 32°F/0°C and 90–100% humidity.
- Garlic – The optimum long-term storage temperature for garlic is 35 to 40 degrees F. In warmer temperatures, garlic will begin to sprout. Dryness and complete darkness are essential.
Visit our Recipe pages on our website.
Items available this week:
- Cabbage, Green – 1 medium head.
- Cabbage, Napa – 1 large head.
- Cabbage, Savoy – 1 large or 2 small heads.
- Butternut Squash – 1 fruit OR Sweet Potatoes – 2 lb.
- Potatoes, Yukon Gold – 2 lb.
- Celeriac aka. Celery Root – 4 medium bulbs.
- Carrots – 1 lb.
- Turnips, Hakurei, white – 3/4 lb. with greens
- Daikon Radish – 1 large or 2 small roots.
- Radish, small – ¾ lb.
- Garlic, Silver White – 1/2 lb.
- Garlic, Oregon Blue – 1/2 lb.
- Garlic, Romanian Red – 1/2 lb.
- Tatsoi – 3/4 lb.
- Pac Choi – 1 large or 2 medium heads.
- Kale OR Swiss Chard – 8oz. (This Kale could be Lacinato or Red Russian.)
- Spinach OR Salad Mix – 7 oz. / 5 oz.
Please follow the rules listed below. Extras will be given on a first come first serve basis, if you order them. You must order extras to receive them.
- Cabbage – Order any variety of cabbage in your original order and you may order up to 2 extra orders.
- Celeriac – Order celeriac in your original order and you may order up to 2 extra orders.
When can you expect your add-ons?
- Weekly Kombucha Deliveries
- Weekly Fruit Deliveries
- 4 lb. Mixed Apple varieties from Weaver’s Orchard.
We will pack your add-ons directly in your CSA box.
We need to have your order by Monday at 8 pm. This weekly newsletter will also be posted on our website in the right hand side bar for reference. Late orders cannot be accepted. If you do not choose to order or forget to order we will select a well-rounded box for you. Each week while the ordering store is open, the ordering page can be found from our website or the newsletter email. From our website: Click the Member Actions tab on the top menu bar, which will lead you to this Member Login button: Go ahead, click it! Log in by: Entering your email address. (The one that you used to sign up for B&H.) You will receive a link in a an email that will take you to your account. Entering a password. (You must use link login for your first time logging in.) Once logged into your account you can change click on Fall Vegetable Share under Member Stores. You will see the list of available items. Click Add to Cart for each item that you would like in your box. You may pick 6 items. You will see your items show up in your cart on the right hand side. When complete, you may click Continue to Checkout or Specify Quantities. (Please do not change quantities of items that only allow one to be ordered.) Or you may head to the Extras store to add free items that we have abundance of that week, if applicable.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to complete all steps for checking out. Please keep an eye out for your confirmation email. If you do not receive that email, then we did not receive your order!!
If you are going away or unable to pick up your produce you may donate your share in your account under Holds. We have selected 2 individuals/organizations in need, that your donated share would go to.
Don’t forget to pick up your last share! Please keep in contact with us if there is an issue with picking up your box on time. It is best to call or text Erica at 484-955-1098. (If you are texting please send your name.)
We thank you for your membership and support.
B & H Organic Produce
Your Account Information: