B & H Organic Produce Early Spring CSA!
Items available this week:
- Potatoes, Fingerling – 2 lb. You may order 3.
- Baby Carrots with greens, Rainbow – 1 lb. You may order 1.
- Radishes, Red – 11 oz. You may order 1.
- Swiss Chard, Rainbow – ¾ lb. You may order 3.
- Tatsoi – 1-2 heads. You may order 2.
- Lettuce, Green or Res Leaf – 1-2 heads. You may order 2.
- Spinach – 8 oz. You may order 2.
- Salad Mix – 5 oz. You may order 2.
- Chives/Garlic Chives – 2 oz. each. You may order 1.
It is a kombucha, eggs and hot sauce delivery week.
First of all, I want to say – asparagus is coming, but due to the lack of sunshine and the cooler weather it has halted in production. I can make no promises about when we will have enough to offer it as an option for ordering in the CSA, but it is coming.
Also, the strawberry plants seemed to have responded to an extra boost of fertilizer and they have put on many new flowers!
Things are really shaping up on the farm. This week we were able to plant a lot of crops. And we are so grateful for the gentle rain we have received to water them.
The most exciting news to report on the farm is our amazing staff. I feel like all of my prayers have been answered. I have the best crew of hardworking and happy employees!!!! I am so grateful. When you eat your veggies this week you can think of all the positive conversations, busy hands and laughs going into growing your produce. Feel free to say a thank you to: Kendra, Sophie, Corley, Amanda, Maria, Mike and of course Paul.
Featured crop of the week:
The potatoes we are offering for the spring CSA have been stored from our harvest in October of last year. It doesn’t mean they aren’t fresh. Potatoes store very well and retain their nutrients. I wanted to feature potatoes this week because our tractor is finally fixed and we will be planting the 2016 potatoes this week. Our potatoes grow out in our big field and love the years of cover crops that were established prior to their planting. We are offering fingerling potatoes this week. They are a delicacy in the potato world. This variety, La Ratte, is the equivalent of a Yukon gold in a tender package. They make a mean mashed potato, and potato salad. Enjoy!
- This week I made potato salad with the fingerlings, sundried tomatoes (from last season), garlic chives (in place of onions), fresh chopped spinach, vegenaise, Dijon mustard and sea salt. It was fabulous!
- I made this recipe last week and loved it: Potato Salmon Cakes
- Fingerlings don’t always need many accompaniments. They are very tasty on their own:
Orders & Pick-up
We need to have your orders by Monday at 8 pm. Late orders cannot be accepted. If you do not choose to order or forget to order we will select a well-rounded box for you. This weekly newsletter will also be posted on our website in the right hand side bar. If for some reason you do not receive an email by Monday, notify us and look on the website for the newsletter.
Once logged in, click on Spring Vegetable Share under Member Stores. You will see the list of available items. Click each one that you would like in your box and click Add to Cart. You may pick 5 items for Spring. You will see them show up in your cart on the right hand side. When complete, you may click Continue to Checkout or Specify Quantities. (Please do not change quantities of items that only allow one to be ordered.) Or you may head to the Extras store to add free items that we have abundance of that week, if applicable. It is very simple.
If you have ordered eggs, kombucha or hot sauce, please do not forget to grab them when you pick up your box this week.
You can expect your add-ons on these dates:
- Bi-weekly Egg Deliveries: 5/4, 5/18
- Weekly Kombucha Deliveries
- Monthly Hot Sauce Deliveries: 5/4
- Bi-weekly Cheese/Mixed Dairy Deliveries: 5/11, 5/25
We realize that many people are busy and forget to pick up. We work hard to fill your boxes with fresh vegetables and we want you to receive them while they are fresh. Please keep in contact with us if you have problems with your pick up. It is best to call or text Erica at 484-955-1098. If you are texting, please send your name.
Please remember each week to gently break down your box and leave it at the site. The site host is not responsible for your produce or the delivery. Please do not contact the site host with any issues.
Again, we thank you for membership and we look forward to providing you with fresh veggies this season!
B & H Organic Produce
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org